Tuesday, August 6, 2013

"Shady's Back, Tell A Friend"

A hate-love relationship; we all have them, whether it's with a person, food, place, etc. Mine just happens to be with Children's Hospital Boston. Here is where I have grown tremendously in a spiritual sense and been saved in a physical one, yet suffered the most gruesome pain imaginable to me. As weird as it sounds, I have fond memories here, mostly stemming from my childhood. Lately, though, I just want to leave and never come back. Which leads me to approximately 46 hours ago...

I woke up feeling really sick (in a cellulitic manner). I prayed that it was all just anxiety, and that none of it was actually happening, that I had entered some state of utter delusion that was a paradoxical world created by my rational fears. However, as the physical symptoms continued to progress, I could no longer deny the cellulitic force that had taken residency in my body.

Flash forward about 20-something hours, and I am being rushed to the hospital in the back of an ambulance. Long-story short, I am here being given great medical treatment. Aside from pain control (the intense pain stemmed from my back thigh), I am being treated intravenously with fluids and clyndamycin. Dr. Fishman came to the ER today shortly after I arrived to examine my situation. Upon looking at the area, he said to one of the vascular nurses “that looks cellulitic to me”. Contrary to what one may presume, this is not a man that is quick to throw you on antibiotics if he does not think you are in dire need of them, especially in cases like mine where I have so many outstanding drug allergies.


My mom said he looked utterly disgusted to see me back. I can imagine it must be hard on him in these situations, as he exerts so much effort into preventing such situations from reoccuring. When I think of Dr. Fishman, I do not just think of a KT expert or surgeon, but that of a human being. He had kids of his own at home, not to mention a wife...and the time in which he has dedicated to his patients should not be forgotten, if even momentarily. I know I am not alone when I say I am genuinely grateful for the time and dedication in which he has put forth into the KT realm, which is why I will forever stay loyal.

- I will shamelessly attribute any absurdity in this post to the fact that I am writing it at 4:10 AM, and have not slept in two days. However, considering, I don't think it's quite as atrocious as some of the things I write when I am fully rested ; )



Love to you all,
-A 

5 comments:

  1. Love to you. You did great at 4 in the morning on no sleep :) It is melancholy. It is also a great tribute to YOU as well as your Dr. I hope you feel better now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much Amy <3 Much love to you.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy, I suffer kt aswell. What are your cellulitis symptoms?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy! While each infection is a bit different, there are some common thread cellulitis symptoms usually. If it is one of my more serious infections, these include: high fever, extreme tenderness of the infected area (which may or may not be a flamboyant red, another story in itself), nausea, dizziness, extreme headache, chills, sweats, etc. Hope that was somewhat helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions! Sending you lots of love, Arianna

    ReplyDelete