Friday, August 16, 2013

In A Moment's Notice (Part 1)

When I last wrote, things were seemingly getting better; albeit slowly. Still, everything was being managed just fine and the infection appeared to be responding well to intravenous treatment of antibiotic. Then, I woke up (while still inpatient) with the chills; it was previously planned I would go home that day... prior to the events that were unfolding at a moment's notice. Suddenly, without even the slightest of warning, I was wandering the vast mountains of Antarctica in nothing but a tank top and shorts. There were not enough blankets in the world to contain the numbing cold that occupied every crevice of my body. My temperature shot up to just under 104. It seemed the infection had progressed, and there was certainly no question now that it had entered my bloodstream. The usual people were involved in treating me, including Dr. Fishman, Dr. Alomari, infectious diseases and the allergists.
The next few days were utter hell as we fought to control the infection. I couldn't get out of bed to use the bathroom; when I stood up, it felt as though I was in a wind-tunnel. Standing would simply not suffice, for I could not maintain balance of any sort. Bed pans were a staple throughout this time period. Even getting my shivering body up on the bed pan was a challenge in itself, especially given where the infection was located (my back thigh). My energy was tossed completely, and lifting my head was something that seemed to be a tremendous feat.

The only time I would start to feel any relief was when the oxicodone, morphine,and moltrin were administered and started to kick in. Eventually, though, my fever would progress back to its just under 104 state, and the unrelenting chills would return along with the dizziness, nausea, intense headache, all over achi-ness, etc. Not to mention the thigh infection itself... My body wasn't done surprising me yet, however. I woke up the following day with two huge clots, one in each arm. They as well were infected. I wish I was joking. No doctor had ever seen anything like it before and are still having difficulty grasping the concept of how this may have occurred.
When people see my leg, they think it is just my leg that is impacted by this lovely condition we call Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome. Fair enough, but for those of us who know better, we know that is far from the truth. We know it can get into our bloodstream and cause sepsis, travel to other realms of the body and wreak utter havoc. We know better, unfortunately.


I returned home from the hospital yesterday afternoon and will be writing a lot more about my time during my ten day stay. My KTS family as always pulled through for me and were the most incredible support group I could have asked for. Never could I have imagined people with such endearing hearts and souls being there for me day and night, that which I am incredibly grateful for. Think of this as somewhat of an introductory post.

My KT loves, whether you are a family member of a patient or a patient yourself, may you be at peace right now. If you are not, may your pain soon subside. May you know you are not alone and have a bundle of people in your corner at all times, no matter how isolated you may feel from the outside world at any given moment.

Love always,
Arianna


No comments:

Post a Comment