Friday, July 6, 2012


Over the past six years, I have learned that the love of a pet is truly equal to that of a miracle, at least it has been for me. I got my beloved dog Fe June when I was in tenth grade. At that point, I was at my worst as far as cellultis infections are concerned. I had never been so sick in my entire life, and never had I been so sick as often. Whether it was coming home from the hospital or a stress-filled day of school, my dog was always there to greet me with her wagging tail and cuddles.

Never underestimate the love in which a pet can give.  

In fact, never underestimate the health benefits in which pets have been proven to give to those who take care of them. Did you know that pets can help reduce stress and relieve anxiety?

I found an interesting article on the subject entitled Animal Rx: 11 Ways Pets Make You Healthy

Read for yourself to see why house pets are supplemental to a healthy lifestyle and how they help patients of chronic illness. 

On a personal level, I can say that when I am going through especially wicked bouts of depression, my dog helps keep me moving. I put her needs before my own, and no matter how bleak the world around me may seem at that given time, she helps put a smile on my face. Even when I am filled with despair and feel like an utterly hopeless case, she gets me to put my feet on the ground at some point whether it is to fill her water bowl or take her to the bathroom. When in such a low state, the mere act of moving can be that of a tremendous effort. Yet, I have found that once you start to get moving again, each step starts to get a little less hard. 

My dog has been my miracle. She is 13 years of age tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment