Sunday, July 1, 2012

Death.


Just writing the word terrifies me. Yet, after all the thinking I have done on the subject, I am still completely uncomfortable with it.


The fragility of life is something that I find to be so utterly intimidating. People with chronic illnesses see doctor's more often and, of course, are equipped with more medical needs than the average person, so I guess it makes sense that the subject would cross my mind more frequently than my peers. 


Anyways, while this topic has been on my mind, I came across an article written by the now late Nora Ephron. I did not know of her prior to learning of her death, but based on this writing alone I am now an avid fan. The honesty she displays in her work, along with the engaging writing style is splendid; it makes for a memorable read. 


There was one part that really resonated with me; it felt as though this was something I would have written myself.



"Here are some questions I am constantly fretting over: Do you splurge or do you hoard? Do you live every day as if it’s your last, or do you save your money on the chance you’ll live 20 more years? Is life too short, or is it going to be too long? 
Do you work as hard as you can, or do you slow down to smell the roses? And where do carbohydrates fit into all this? Are we really going to have to spend our last years avoiding bread, especially now that bread is so unbelievably delicious? And what about chocolate?" - Nora Ephron

It's somewhat eerie to see these words in writing, yet strangely comforting for I now have solid evidence that I alone do not often ponder these conundrums, and how fair life can be. 


Like many other people with chronic illnesses, I don't know what my health will bring me on any certain day. All people are victims of this to some extent, of course,  it's just those with an illness experience have a heightened level of uncertainty, one could argue. 






-
-
-
-
-






When every minute is uncertain, do you live for today, or do you live for tomorrow?


Rest in peace, Nora and thank you for the awesome bravery and honesty you possessed in your writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment