Wednesday, July 11, 2012


It can be extremely hard to live in the moment when you have a chronic illness; even without one, too. We are taught to plan ahead for our futures by investing and saving money for later times. Yet, society is constantly pressuring people to live in the moment.

Live in the moment.
The phrase may be simple, but the action is not.

Professionals in the medical field have found that it is especially important for people dealing with chronic illnesses. It is of no surprise that stress can exasperate symptoms of a chronic illness and take a toll one one's emotional and mental well-being.

I have been experiencing this problem for some time now. Each day, I panic that I will get another cellulitis infection. The reality of the situation is that they are spontaneous and I will never know exactly when one will unravel until it actually does. However, I do know that one is always imminent; eventually anyways. It's a reality I have to deal with, and it has proven itself to be a difficult one for me to endure.

Often times, people with chronic illnesses feel as though they have no control over their own life. Professionals, however, say that living in the moment not only lends vigor to one's life, but an aqcuired sense of control as well. I have also read that days in which we are feeling good are often overshadowed by the endless stream of worries that seem to be permanently fixated within our minds. Therefore, the good times go unappreciated.

There are various other reasons why it is recommended one lives in the moment as well but I will not get into all of them here.

Evidently, this notion of appreciating a moment and being fully present in it is one in which I have far from mastered.

For people with chronic illnesses, how do you suggest they live in the moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment