Thursday, October 17, 2013

To Sit Comfortably, Once Again

Hey everyone! Since I last posted, I have been discharged from the hospital, come home, been re-admitted, operated on and discharged once again. And this is all within a week's time period!

It's true, the life of a KTS patient can be absolutely insane and anything but ordinary. But, as I continue to shovel my way through this difficult passage in life, I am coming to terms with the fact that almost everyone has been dealt an unlucky hand of cards in some way or other. This is just mine, and it is prepping me for the future in which I hope to help others and possibly inspire them. I guess it is not so much the problems in which we are handed, but the way in which we deal with them.

For now, I will give you guys a somewhat brief update on what has been happening with me medically.

I got discharged from the hospital this past Friday in a great deal of discomfort. The MRI showed some cyst areas that correlated with the places in which I was having pain. So, since every medication I was taking was done orally and my vitals were under control, the teams decided it was viable for me to go home for the weekend. Then, I would come back on Tuesday and have the areas operated on by my beloved Dr. Alomari. When I had the MRI and I was in a large amount of pain inpatient, he was out of town for a couple of days to attend a medical conference. I was freaking out, absolutely petrified that I was at a dead end and that if this issue couldn't be fixed , I may never again sit comfortably on my butt and/or thigh again. I already have a great deal of problems standing for more than a few minutes of time, and sitting was often the only relief I got from that pain. Now, it seemed possible that sitting may no longer be an option. Inside, I felt so incredibly lost and it seemed as though all my hope had vanished.

On Tuesday, prior to the operation, Dr. Alomari came into the room and we talked things over. Aside from the pain, I also had some deeply embedded vesicles that had been leaking lymph fluid and blood for several weeks. I had not mentioned them much before as I was just hoping they would merely close off and become a distant memory. Unfortunately, they persisted with great vengeance, constantly leaking through all of my pants throughout the day and evening with little to no breaks in between. So, at the last minute, we decided to do C02 laser to eradicate the stubborn vessicles which could act as a portal for infection.

I woke up from the operation in great shape - I was walking, talking, and even laughing! Of course, some of that powerful pain medication eventually wore off later that night and I felt some pain. Nothing too overwhelming, though. In fact, the only area that is sore is the thigh area in which I had the C02 laser done. The rest of the areas have improved dramatically! I am sitting solidly on both butt-cheeks while writing this, barely on any pain medication whatsoever. I have not been able to sit like this in months. I feel so blessed to have the amazingly talented Dr. Alomari and his fabulous staff (shout-out to Cindy, Dr. Alomari's "right hand" as I call her, for always having been there for me through all of my various moods) working on my behalf, as I have now regained some sense of normalcy!

I will leave you guys with some pictures below from the past few days. Love to you all and thanks so much for all the kind wishes that have been coming my way; I could not have asked for better friends.
Right before the surgery Tuesday morning. Inside, I was freaking out but I tried my hardest to maintain my composure.

A picture of the C02 laser from a day ago. This is part of the area on my thigh that had the deep vesicles bleeding out. 

This is from yesterday, on my way home from the hospital, sitting comfortably in the car!

Finally, it seems as though I may be home to stay for a little bit (barring any complications). Here, I was snuggled up under a large blanket on my living-room couch. I fell asleep for a few hours right after I took this. Sleeping in the hospital is often hard for me to achieve, so I was utterly exhausted!


- A

No comments:

Post a Comment