Thursday, September 19, 2013

MRI

I wanted to update, and I have a fair amount of energy to do so right now. The problem is that my mind is running rampant and I don't even know how to formulate a sequence that would make sense...

All I can say is this: This most recent infection has traumatized me. If you read below, then you know I woke up with this infection. Literally, I sat up in my bed and had no idea what had hit me. My back, buttock, thigh, and knee (down to just before the kneecap) had never hurt so badly in my life.

The other night, Dr. Alomari forced me to go for an MRI. I was reluctant to do so given how febrile I was; the last thing I felt like doing was sitting in a confined space in a chilly room with a dim atmosphere. My head, up until yesterday, felt as though it was being hit repeatedly by a hammer. So, I gave some resistance in terms of initially going for the MRI. However, one of the best nurses of all time, Kristen, sat down and explained what would be at stake if I didn't have it done. So I obliged and went and had it done; and boy, was I lucky I did. All of the areas in which I described as being excruciatingly painful featured abnormalities in the MRI. These abnormalities were in the form of inflamed cysts. The problem with these cysts is that they create their own thick walls around them; therefore, when I was getting treated with intravenous or oral antibiotics, the medicine was not reaching those areas. Rather, the bacteria in those areas kept growing stronger and more malicious. There was no way for the medicine to get to them. What needed to be done next was surgery in which Dr. Alomari would aspirate the fluids through schlerotherapy.

I will continue on with the surgery in my next post (hopefully later today or tomorrow).
Hope you all are happy and healthy - A

No comments:

Post a Comment