Thursday, January 17, 2013

Admitted and Discharged Within Three Days...


Hey everyone,
Last time I wrote I was feeling particularly apprehensive in regards to my current health with Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome. Since then, I have been admitted and released from Children's Hospital Boston. Normally I am inpatient for a longer time, so it all kind of feels like a blur, but I am incredibly thankful to be home in my own environment.

Long story short, I have something called thrombophlebitis. Thrombophlebitis is swelling (inflammation) of a vein caused by a blood clot.

The symptoms are as follows:
  • Red, swollen, and irritated skin and tissue around the area, such as along an affected leg.
  • Painful, warm, tender, or hard sensations in the area.
  • Pain or tenderness may increase when you put pressure on the affected area.
  • The swollen vein may feel like a tough "cord" under your skin.
  • Flexing your ankle may also be painful. 
  • Swollen foot or ankle, especially if only one side is swollen.
So, I am off antibiotics and can be on Ketorolac if I choose however right now my pain does not warrant taking one.
Enjoy a picture below of an incredibly frustrated me in the emergency room after seven hours. Ultimately, it ended up being a total of 12 hours in the emergency room. None of my doctors were there, and this meant telling copious amounts of professionals what KTS is in the first place. My favorite was when one of the female doctors asked me how we should treat this; yeah, that happened. Generally, Children's Hospital Boston is a shining star as far as medical care is concerned, but let's just say this trip was less than stellar (other than the impeccable ER and floor nurses). Once my regular doctors were involved, however, things went smooth and I felt safe and assured.





No comments:

Post a Comment