Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Depression After the Storm

Many people who have just gotten to know me recently may find it rather challenging to grasp what I am about to tell you. Or, perhaps given your own experiences and expertise on the subjects of mental health and chronic illness, you won't. Anyway... Often a time, I come off as a rather vivacious and spirited individual who has a deep zest for life. At my best, I like to think this is indeed true and that my volition to live is what has gotten me through so many tumultuous medical episodes (aside from competent doctors and luck, of course). I fought, in essence, to keep fighting. There were ample times I wanted to give up, but I fought like hell to keep pushing forward.
The truth is, however, that I struggle a great deal with depression and anxiety, not unlike a lot of chronic illness patients. I have been rather open about this in past writings, and it is not something in which I am ashamed of in the slightest. I have clinical depression and OCD, and to me they are illnesses just as real as that of Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome. They are fueled by a chemical imbalance, and that in itself is nothing to be ashamed of. Just because conditions of these kinds are concealed to the naked eye, does not make them any less earnest and/or real than pan-optical conditions or diseases. In the past year, I have spent so much time focusing on my Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome that I have let my mental health (regrettably, but understandably) fall to the wayside. It was not my intention for this to happen, but life intervened and often I was not able to make it to weekly appointments as I was either in the hospital, had just arrived home from the hospital, or was recovering from a surgery. Other times, during my brief "off" periods from Klippel, I just wanted to rest and not talk about things that were disconcerting to me. The problem with not processing these feelings, however, is that they build up in a deeply residual manner until it becomes nearly impossible to cope in a healthful way.

So, I now find myself in a position where I have to take action or I will crumble into a million little pieces. I feel like I already have, at least on the inside. On the outside, however, I appear well put together and can always muster up a grimace. On the inside, I have been deeply struggling and know I am regressing mentally despite taking my antidepressant on a daily basis. It's time for me to acknowledge these feelings and address them directly, because it is just as important as treating my Klippel. So, today, I am going to call my therapist and ask to meet with her three times a week as one is certainly not enough. The thing about depression is that it doesn't want you to ask for help, it wants to isolate you and keep you feeling disconnected from everything and everybody.

While my depression and anxiety has never gone away since I first started dealing with it several years ago, it became more bearable through a great deal of talk therapy and medication. Right now, I am in the midst of a flare-up and it is rather frightening. However, I hope that by acknowledging my current state and addressing it, I am on the right track to being in a better place mentally.

Never be scared to ask for help. Never feel as though people will look down upon you if you do as that cannot be further from the truth. Never retreat as things can get better. As I sit here, I do not feel as though things will get better. That is my depression talking, and I have to know that despite how I feel, it is a FACT: things will get better. Facts are facts, and they override feelings in situations akin to these. They have to.


Sending you all so much love. - Arianna

1 comment:

  1. Back to you. You have said it so well. No Shame whatsoever.
    By acknowledging your needs you have certainly placed yourself in an advantageous position.
    You even have the insight to recognize that deep down you feel helpless , at the end of the rope, but like you said
    That is the derision talking and depression is a bug, great fat liar.

    At your age I felt the same way, one thought that Kept me going was that I was easy too young to kick the bucket ...
    I desperately wanted to be a mother...
    I never dreamed that Meniere would ever be possible to be cured ...
    Twenty years plus later , the impossible has happened
    Who would have thought ,?
    I don't need the treatment now thank God . I have learnt to cope with my deafness . I don't think that the rest of humanity have adjusted as well though ...
    But for me not longer being a prisoner of vertigo is all I need.
    Lymphedema is a new challenge in my life but I have resources at my disposition . At this point , I am in no pain ..
    Enough about me.
    Just wanted to share some info with you
    Antidepressants and other psych meds may need to be changed , or their dishes increased . Add new ones...
    It is trial and error process until a treatment tailored to your particular needs is attained.

    Talking to a therapist who is compassionate, caring and professional allows you to rant, rave, express your doubts. Concerns , feelings without being judged and also it gives you the reassurance that you are not burdening your parents, sister, friends or anybody close to you that you don't desire to be overly worried about you rself.
    You have the certainty that your sessions are strictly confidential .

    You can vent out and that gives a healthy outlet to your valid feelings.
    Other things that I have learned in my journey with depression?

    Rest, when I don't sleep well my depression escalates and becomes unbearable . Amazingly , After a good night sleep , my mind is much more in tune with my desire to be happy.
    Blogging. Keeping a normal, sharing with others in similar situations as mine .
    Knowing that I am connected to other human beings that totally support and understand me
    Do you have a list of things that usually put on a smile on your face?

    A good reading
    A hilarious movie
    The company of close friends
    Being hugged by your parents, sister or any other loving relative
    A special dish or dessert you get to enjoy on special occasions?
    Walking
    Fresh flowers
    An outing yo your favorite place,
    Having a girls sleep over that may include makeovers , watching movies and plenty of laughter ,?
    A visit to your salon for a new haircut , hairdo , mani and pedi
    A new perfume , sprinkling your favorite scent on your bed linens, specially clean , crisp linens
    Scented candles
    listening to upbeat or relaxing music depending on your mood
    Decreasing your room
    Write a list about thirty things you are grateful for
    Praying, meditation, whether in a group or in solitude .
    Breathing exercises to control anxiety
    Close eyes and dream about your dreamy vacation
    Be outside and enjoy nature
    Think about all the times you have helped other people in their struggles .
    Helping others allows us to realize that we are here for a specific purpose
    Think about your family unconditional love and how much you mean to them, kt and all

    These are some suggestions. The idea is to help you get out of the pit of depression because deep down you know it is temporary. You Will Feel Better
    And when that heavy veil is lifted up from or shoulders life makes sense again and gratitude inundate our souls.
    The sun is shining again and the moon is as beautiful as ever ..
    To calm our nerves , we need to be pain free , happy content , at peace
    Welcome everything that helps you to reach that goal !

    ReplyDelete