Monday, April 1, 2013

What's Harder for Me, Bipolar or KTS?

I hope everyone had a lovely Easter! As far as my KTS is concerned, I am in a good place at this point in time. Not to say everything is perfect, but the positive is far outweighing any negative.

For me, though, the KTS portion of my life has been considerably easier to deal with than any mental problems I have experienced throughout the past few years.

When I get a cellultis infection,I go to the doctors and it's up to them to fix me. It's up to them to find the right antibiotic to sliver through my body and wipe away all traces of the infection as thoroughly as possible. A nurse hooks up my IV and lets the fluid work its magic. Within a couple of weeks, the problem is usually solved and I can revert to a normal physical state leg wise.

However, as someone who deals with bipolar disorder and a high level of anxiety on a daily basis, I cannot help but find these mental disorders much more complex than that of my KTS. Perhaps because controlling my moods has been somewhat of an issue, and it requires a great deal of cognitive work on my part. If I don't practice good cognitive techniques, along with attending weekly appointments and taking medications, things can go awry rather quickly.

My KTS and bipolar disease do have things in common, though. For example, with my KTS I can wake up to an infection or clot and then be forced to deal with it. Same with bipolar disorder, I have found. I can be in a good mood and then fall into a lousy bout the next day and be forced to deal with that.

All I know at current is this: You wake up each day and just place one foot in front of the other. Sometimes it's just going through the motions, but that's okay because it gets you through temporarily.

I know I am far from the only one who deal with a chronic illness and some kind of mental disorder - and my heart goes out to all of you. It is not easy and definitely not fun - you guys are warriors! It's true, and don't doubt it for even a slight second. - A




No comments:

Post a Comment