Sunday, April 7, 2013

"I don't want to turn this into a trite sermon on the passing of time, but..."


I think that when one lives with a certain degree of chronic pain and medical trauma on a daily basis, it can be somewhat easy to fall into our own worlds. In fact, one could argue that focusing on ourselves and our health is somewhat of a primal tactic – a “survival of the fittest method”, so to speak. We focus on getting by from day to day, and don't always realize how quickly time is actually passing. When in the moment, it may actually feel as though the clock is barely ticking. I can't generalize this to all people or patients, of course. This passage is mostly tailored to myself, but I have a feeling one or two people out there may be able to relate. I don't want to turn this into a trite sermon on the passing of time, but tomorrow my sister receives Confirmation. And, this past Friday was her first prom. It's so weird watching her do the things I did not to long ago myself – and it makes me realize that in spite of how slow it may feel life is dragging sometimes, it goes by faster than which I give it credit for.

I think the beauty and heartache of getting older is coming to certain realizations, like realizing that days do seemingly go by in small clusters and eventually you find yourself reminiscing on the past ten years. I'm not good at living in the moment – in fact I am utterly horrific at it! My anxious mind likes to pull me forward constantly, and my depressed one likes to keep me stuck in some gaudy time machine. And I also understand how pain can preoccupy the mind immensely. But living in the moment is worth a try, and that is why I hope to improve upon this subject.

Sister & I

No comments:

Post a Comment