Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Today is Surgery Day

Today is the day of my surgery with Dr. Alomari; fortuitously it will merely be a day procedure and I should be able to return home after several hours. As I wrote in my last post, something had gone awry in terms of my ankle and foot within the past week or so. Despite his frenzied schedule, Dr. Alomari managed to squeeze me in for an appointment today following one of his procedures. I must say, this man has one of the best work ethics in which I have ever seen...although I can truly say the same for the entirety of the vascular anomalies staff at Children's that I have dealt with. Anyway, my ankle did not have
thrombophlebitis as I surmised it would prior to my appointment today. Instead, there are a bundle of cysts that are pushing up against the vein in my ankle, and the whole flare-up is superficial. Upon leaving, I asked about pain medication to get me through the night as the throbbing sensations have literally been intolerable... Cindy (the interventional radiologist nurse who I utterly adore) prescribed me Lidoderm patches. However, despite using three of them at once in the most painful area (as the directions stated I could safely do) I received absolutely no alleviation, which currently has me in a state of utter distress.

 Aside from my foot issue, I have a massive ear infection and despite having been on ear drops for a multitude of days now, I have yet to have a reprieve from the pain in which it has been relentlessly causing me. Between my throbbing foot,ankle, and ear, I feel as though I am about to implode. However, I trust that even though I will be in a great deal of pain following tomorrow's surgery, things will undoubtedly get better from here. Not to mention, my Klippel family has been nothing but loving and supportive as always and for that I am so incredibly grateful. I find it rather hard to connect with most other young adults my age, but my vascular anomalies friends are truly my soul-mates. I have fallen out of touch with a lot of other young adults my age from my hometown; it is nobody's fault, really, just merely a matter of them working a great deal and attending classes while I continuously grapple with my medical and emotional issues. However, I am lucky enough to have a core group of friends (aside from my vascular anomalies family) that are there for me through thick and thin, along with an amazingly supportive family.

On a heavier note (non-KT related), I awoke two days ago to a horrid tragedy; my dog had been vehemently ill in the morning time and my parents had to take her to the vet. It turns out that within the last 60 days, (at least that's what the Dr.'s surmise), she has gone deaf. Of course, I was able to tell for some time now that her hearing was not what it used to be, but I was hoping against all odds that it was some kind of exaggeration on my behalf...hearing the concrete news from the vet was absolutely tragic. I recall the days in which I would call her name from my room and she would come running in; she would lay in bed with me when I was sick due to my KTS...those days are now nothing but a distant memory. Aside from her being deaf, she has an enlarged heart along with a leaky valve. Not only that, but one of her leg joints is dislocated and the other one keeps popping in and out. To see her in pain is probably one of the most arduous things I have had to endure within my lifetime...I would take all her pain away from her in an instant if I could, but unfortunately I do not have that capability.

On a lighter note, it is my eldest sister's birthday today! She and I have had our disagreements throughout the years (like all sisters), but overall I am very proud of her and have an abundance of admiration for the person in which she has become. I hope that when I am able to work again, I have even half the work ethic in which she does. Below are some pictures; some are from today, while a couple of others are from months prior.

Dad wheeling me out of Children's today after my appointment with Dr. Alomari.

A picture of my swollen foot and ankle taken a few hours back.

Me in one of the interventional radiology rooms today awaiting to see Dr. Alomari for my appointment. I was rather nervous!
My sister Danielle and I when we were younger!

My beautiful and most loyal friend, Fe June. Please send well wishes her way!


May you all be well!
Ari


No comments:

Post a Comment