Friday, May 9, 2014

Can We All Please Stop Judging the Book by it's Damn Cover?!?

Sometimes, I feel really defeated living in a world inundated with such ignorance – when I use my handicap plate, it is not atypical for people to scoff at me and give me death stares. Those of you who read my old blog, KT Fabulous, may remember about an instance where a woman screamed at me in a Target parking lot for having used mine... I remember trying to tell her in a calm manner that it was indeed mine, and her yelling back at me “yeah, right!” and droning on and on about what a horrible person I was... I was so incredibly humiliated, this woman was shouting at me in a parking lot filled with customers on a busy Saturday afternoon. After, I was so torn up by this woman's verbal tirade that I called my parents and therapist in tears... I was so shaken up! The only time in which I ever even use it is when I am in a great deal of pain, as I would never want someone who needed it more than I to be denied the opportunity to have it. These days, however, I am almost always in a great deal of pain and almost always need to use it. I try not to let the stares of ignorant elders and younger people alike bother me, but sometimes it does get to me. Sometimes, the hate-filled stares make me want to break down in tears right there in the midst of a public parking lot filled with an array of strangers...

That is why I believe it is vital for us all to show a lot more love and compassion to one-another, and to do so it is instrumental that we do not judge a book by its cover! I would be lying if I said I have never experienced feelings of envy in regards to other girls – especially in my younger years when vacationing in Aruba. I remember seeing stunning, tall blondes who had the most beautiful legs – I will never have that, ever, I would think to myself (at least not in this lifetime). Upon thinking that, a feeling of sadness would fill my soul as that reality sank into me deep down within. I wanted to be that girl, that girl who had the flawless legs and could parade around in a bikini without receiving a host of curious stares... Why the hell couldn't I be THAT girl? Why was I that one in a million? Why ME?

And yet, I knew nothing about those girls. The girls whose bodies in which I wanted to have as my own so badly, were ones in which I had never even spoken to before... I assumed that because they had the perfect body, they had the perfect life. Gosh, was I ignorant. For one, I knew nothing about invisible illness in terms of mental and physical health. Who was I to think they had the perfect life without ever having really gotten to know them? What gave me the right to assume that?

My own illnesses (compiled with other life experiences), however, have taught me that judging a book by its cover is so utterly detrimental to the world – I have been the one who has done the judging in the past (i.e. assuming girls with perfect bodies had the perfect life) and the one who has been judged by others (well, she doesn't look sick) and there is no good to come of it. So, as cliché as it may sound, let's not be so quick to judge the person walking aside us in a store or on the beach... assumptions can be rather dangerous, and can cause a lot of hurt. The “perfect” body does not equate to the perfect life. Richness does not guarantee happiness. Looks and outside appearances can be so utterly deceiving... and in a world obsessed with outside looks, we must always remember there is more than meets the eye!


- Arianna

No comments:

Post a Comment