Saturday, May 24, 2014

Financial Stressors

Hi guys! Hope you all are as well as can possibly be! Within this particular post, I would like to talk about something in which I find to be a particularly distressing matter at present: finances. I know I am not alone in this plight, and that many others struggle in this regard as well. The current challenge for me is finding a job that will accommodate my current medical needs; not to mention, trying to figure out if seeking one out is truly even a viable option at this point in time (given my erratic and unpredictable medical circumstances).

Let me preface the rest of this post by saying this: after battling for many years to obtain it, I am on disability. It was a long and stressful battle, and I could not have obtained it without the help of a competent lawyer, my parents, and two others well versed in social security. It was, indeed, much overdue by the time in which I actually received it.
After the non-stop surgeries and hospitalizations I endured, one may have assumed it would not have been so difficult of a battle (especially since I also live with debilitating chronic pain)... However, I was rejected several times before I finally had to go to court to explain my particular predicament, as well as the ins-and-outs of this condition for those in charge (they knew nothing about it prior).

I am not a lazy person; I come from an extremely hard-working middle-class family. My dad, up until last year, was working four jobs simultaneously. He had no days off, and it was hard to see him endure his brutal work schedule for so many years, even though he hardly ever complained. Instead he would say he felt lucky to have the opportunity to wake up each day and work... in that way I somewhat understood him, but it was still not easy to watch a love one break their back day after day to meet basic familial needs. Then there was my mom, who juggled two jobs of her own aside from being there for me through every single hospitalization. My eldest sister went to school full-time at an excellent (challenging to get into college) school and worked full-time as well while graduating with a 3.7 GPA. I come from a family full of hard workers. And then there is me... the one who cannot do much in terms of tedious jobs because my accommodations are nearly impossible to be met. At current, sitting for too long causes me a great deal of pain as does standing for even short periods of time. I am often great at hiding my discomfort when in public venues or amongst other people, as I do not want to be known as that person who is constantly complaining...sometimes, though, that works against me as people then do not believe me when I tell them I am in such a great deal of pain most of the time. I guess I am a rather good actress when need be! ; ) The only people that can really see through my facade are my parents; they can tell by the look in my eyes whether or not I am experiencing discomfort, no matter how much in which I try to hide it. They are also two of the only people I feel comfortable expressing my pain to; and I know they would never have the audacity to judge me.

Still, not being able to work impacts me in a couple of different ways. My current income is one in which I am very grateful to have...prior to it I was living on practically nothing as far as extra money is concerned... Of course my parents provided me with a place to live, and other essentials (I realize how spoiled I am to have even had that, and it is something in which I took for granted in the past). But, with my mom constantly being out of work due to my hospitalizations (in which she did not get paid for in terms of time off) she lost a great deal of money and my dad was merely trying to keep us all afloat. I was not born into a situation where my parents could afford to constantly give me money to go to the movies constantly, or I could go to the nearby mall and just blow a little extra cash. Sure, I was spoiled in a multitude of ways, that much I will not deny, but I quickly learned how costly this world could truly be! With the social security income I have now, I am able to stay afloat and have somewhat of a social life in terms of going out places and what not. However, attending a school that is $40,000 grand a year without room and board is at times a burden. I worked very hard to get into this particular school, and have grown to love it there. In terms of commuting, it is a mere 15 minutes away from my home. I do not regret my decision to get an education there despite the cost, but I do at times feel stressed about the financial aspect of my education. I will need to put aside 500 dollars for books for this upcoming fall semester, and that in itself will limit what I can do greatly this summer.

Not to mention the psychological aspect of not being able to work; throughout high-school, I balanced working with academics and being in and out of the hospital constantly (despite my chronic pain at the time). What has changed since then that has not allowed me to work? Well, the state of my left buttock is one thing. The other night I was at an award ceremony for my sister and sitting was tremendously painful, even though it was only for an hour. Even after, I was so incredibly sore! The chronic pain in my lower left leg has also increased throughout the past few years, along with the intensity of my infections. I also grapple with depression and OCD, although I try to conceal the extent of my struggles with those to my friends as well. I am not ashamed, but I do not know how to explain it to them in a way in which they will understand. Anyway, emotionally, I often feel useless being unable to work. After all, I come from a long line of hard workers on both sides of the family... The guilt that accompanies not being able to provide for myself in the way in which I wish I could often eats at me psychologically; as I said prior, I often feel useless that I cannot contribute more financially.

I am currently investigating ways in which I can make money from the comfort of my home. Someone on Facebook mentioned Avon to me (being a representative). This is certainly something I may consider as I love makeup tremendously to begin with!

Sometimes, everyday feels like a battle....whether it's physically or emotionally. I think you just have to push on, though, and do the best you can given your circumstances. No, I am not Paris Hilton and I will probably never reach even near that level of wealth. Working to me, however, represents more than being able to buy fancy things; it represents morals, it builds character, and helps you to appreciate what you have more. I cannot wait for my chance to come again, whether that is now or in the future... Some of my happiest (albeit most painful days, standing on my Klippel leg for 6 hours at a time!) was when I worked at a supermarket. Disability has been a great start, and I am so grateful for without it I would be undoubtedly struggling to get by. However, I do not wish to live this way forever if I have a say in it... being completely reliant on the government to get by financially makes me rather uncomfortable. However, I understand that there are people out there who have no other choice, heck I have been and am one of them at current! For those people, I feel great empathy as I bet they too wish they had the opportunity to earn a living for themselves... sitting at home in pain and constant boredom is not all it's cracked up to be, you know. ( ;



- Arianna

No comments:

Post a Comment