Thursday, June 27, 2013

UPDATE!

Hey all. So very many things have happened since I last had the chance to write. I will do my best to summarize the details without making this post too lengthy.

1) We found out that the supposed infection was actually a blood clot. Dr. Alomari came up to my room with his ultrasound machine and we found that there is a large superficial clot that extends in a vein from the bottom of my toes all the way to the back ankle. I was so relieved - as was everyone else. Because this was a clot and not an infection, it made sense that I hadn't been responding to IV Cylndamycin. HOWEVER, the bad news is that I will not be walking anytime soon in the given area. I got pretty emotional about that, as it may take a month until I was able to put weight on it and walk again.

2)Then, yesterday morning, I woke up terribly ill. I was shaking out of control, felt freezing, was nauseous, had cramped legs, and a slew of other volatile symptoms. My buttocks area was so sore and throbbing, and I knew this feeling all too well. "Maybe it's because you have yet to go pee in a while," the nurse said. Inside, I knew that wasn't the case. However, I humored her and went anyways, and we then preceded to take my temperature. It was 104.  Next thing I know crowds of doctors were coming in and out repeatedly. I was so incredibly out of it that I could barely make out faces and my memory was absolutely horrid. Right away, the surgical team started me on Vanclomycin and Avelox intravenously. We continued my pain medicine regime and had decided to see how things go throughout the day. By midday, my temperature was under control at about 101 degrees. However, at night, a huge large red area formed on my thigh which was not surprising to me. Sometimes with my celllulitis infections, the redness does not reveal itself until much later on.

3) I woke up this morning feeling still incredibly sick, except this time my buttock area was way more sore than it had been yesterday or even last night! I asked the nurse to take my temperature, which read 103. I find this worrying because even though it has gone down a degree, it is still so incredibly painful. Not to mention I am on pain medicine and the two different IV antibiotics had been running for just about 24 hours steady.
So, the nurse just paged surgery again and gave me some Motrin to try and bring the fever down. For now, I need to wait to see how things play out as the doctors figure out a plan as this one may not be aggressive enough.

Below is a picture of my younger sister and I from when she came to visit me last night. Seeing her is always such  a mood booster! There are also a couple of pictures of my mom, dad, and nana. I don't know how I would be getting through any of this without their support. Never underestimate a good support group. Situations like these make me realize just how incredibly grateful I am for all o my magnificent family and friends. - A





1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Arianna! You will get thru this. Lots of prayers coming your way. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete