Saturday, June 22, 2013

My Mistaken Diagnosis (Part 1)

She sat fiddling with her pen as her eyes were glued to me. She seemed to be fixated upon my every word, as though each syllable of mine uttered was a drip of morphine being implanted into her system. “You are a classic mood disorder,” she said. “I don't know why it has taken for now for someone to pick up on this. You are bipolar.” It felt like a heavy diagnosis, and that's because it was. Even if one pushes aside the social stigma that accompanies such mental illnesses, there is still well, the illness itself to grapple with. Life long mood swings and a slew of depleting symptoms. Symptoms, of course, could be mostly managed with proper treatment, but there were still a multitude of uncertainties. It's complex and not at all concrete. For me to go into detail would be my 25 page paper from last college semester all over again.

“We're going to start you on lithium,” she said. And what about the anxiety? “Most people with bipolar disorder have other mental illnesses as well, like OCD. That doesn't surprise me. What surprises me is no one has picked this up until now, the bipolar.” Teary-eyed, I listened to her, trusting her expertise. “You know,” she said, “my granddaughters name is going to be Arianna, too. You fascinate me. You are very interesting. I look forward to working together. You fascinate me."

  • A



No comments:

Post a Comment