Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Quick Onset of My Infections

An example of how quickly my infections come on:

I am in my room putting on my makeup; I am not quite sure where I would head out to that night but the evening was young and so was I.
As I sit in front of the mirror primping myself and talking to my sister, I looked down at my foot and recognized a fiery red section of my skin. I felt a shot of adrenaline rush throughout the entirety of my body; here comes the anxiety. Most of us with KTS know the difference between the typical purple hues that are typical of normal KTS criteria as opposed to the crayola red ones. So, as I gazed at it, I am thinking this can go one of two ways: the skin will stay as is and no other symptoms will come along. Or, it would progress and I would be heading to the ER that night at Children's Hospital Boston.

Within the next hour or so, my current state of health declined exponentially. My foot was now in an incredible amount of pain, and I was deteriorating systemically. This was not atypical behavior of my cellulitis infections; most come on fast and strong. Mind you, this was all while being on oral Avelox for a prolonged period of time. I was taking it daily, and with that in mind no infection should have cropped up. Yet, it did, and next thing I know I was phoning my mom telling her that I needed to leave for the hospital as soon as possible.

And so we went. I was already depressed prior to going there, but once I was actually there and admitted I felt all the more horrid. I felt stuck in a repeating cycle that never seemed to end. It was as though I was spinning round and round on a merry-go-round and was powerless to get off. I know that I am not the only chronic illness patient that feels this way; I have talked to many others who feel similarly to I. Sometimes, you just have to be strong and push through despite whatever the odds may be, no matter how hopeless things may seem. I plan to write more tomorrow.

Are you a chronic illness patient? Do you ever feel stuck in "the cycle?" What advice would you offer to others going through the same thing?



Hope you are more than well, A

No comments:

Post a Comment