Thursday, August 23, 2012


I have touched upon this in the past, but as I grow older I have found that many of my friendships have fell to the wayside as my condition has become more prevalent in many aspects of my everyday life. Needless to say, I have had to make some accommodations in my social life because of worsening symptoms/pain.

I am tired, a lot. After a week of college classes, the last thing I feel up to is going out to parties and bars all night. As much as I may want to go out and socialize, my body just has other ideas about how I should spend my time, like being in bed at a decent time that evening.
It's hard because I want to go out and socialize like everyone else, but physically my body is rejecting the notion to do so.
Being 21, a lot of my friends without chronic illnesses are often spending their free time socializing in the city at bars or clubs drinking, or at late night parties and what not. I often feel like I don't fit in, and I am learning to accept that in reality, I don't. Quite honestly, it's a strange place to be in.

That's why I thank the heavens for my other friends with chronic illnesses. Some of them have already been through this stage and are generous enough to share their own personal experiences on the subject and the life lessons in which they have learned from them.

& While technology makes communication easier than ever before, it is still hard to not always have somebody in person to just laugh or cry with who really understands. I am continuously learning to accept that despite my desire, I cannot do everything my typical 21-year-old friends are doing.

Can anyone reading relate?

No comments:

Post a Comment