Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Let's talk about how much I utterly adore Dr. Fishman from Children's Hospital Boston. He just left my room a few minutes ago and I cannot help but feel incredibly beholden by him. He knows his material, and his display of confidence but lack of cockiness is quite appealing when it comes to discussing elaborate medical procedures. As the team of doctor's were leaving my room, I was sure to thank all of them profusely. Then, however, came my farewell to Dr. Fishman. "Dr. Fishman," I said, "never a pleasure." We all laughed. He knows I am absolutely kidding, and that I am very grateful for all of the work and care in which he has provided for me throughout the years. I love that I can banter back and forth with each and everyone of my doctors! When you have known them for so long, they become friendly familiar faces in a strange way, Ultimately, though, he knows I am grateful for his expertise and the time and work he has dedicated to me as a patient.
 By the way, in case you were wondering, he does not have a house in the Hamptons to kick back at during the summer season; I would know because I already asked to swim in the pool. ; ) Overstepping boundaries much? Yeah, well, I'm notorious for that. Not that a man of his magnitude would even have the time for that. During my last hospital stay, he showed me the quantity of emails he had received via phone since the ten minutes he had been in my room. There had to have been at least 40, no lie. I don't know how he does it, but he does it and he does it well. Not only does he manage work, but he has a wife and two children.

I should get to go home tomorrow. This does not surprise me in the least bit as this infection was quite tame from the start. Systemic symptoms were minimal, as was the pain. The cardinal symptom was indeed the redness in the lower left limb. However, I came to the emergency room shortly after noticing the redness so there was little time for the infection to progress into a more developed stage. With potential infections, you NEVER want to wait around. Supposedly, as recited at a presentation at the conference in Mayo Clinic this past summer, somebody died because he waited too long to get help for the infection.

I'll write more later because I am so fatigued right now as I got no sleep last night. -A

Room view from the kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment