Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Online Dating with KTS


So I admit, I dabbled lightly into the world of online dating; it was about three months or so that I initiated a free account. I think it was the day after I had got home after one of my hospitalizations that I created it – I was home feeling bored and lonely, aside from being sick from my KTS. It was as though I was living life in a fishbowl – I was watching everyone outside going about their lives, while I remained stranded in my own little habitat. Friends of mine were going on dates, and it made me jealous. The problem with dating for me, however, is how little of energy I often have. Usually, a school day is enough to wipe me out – my body has a very hard time juggling my academic and personal life as it is, and that's with just friends. Yet, there is a part of me that yearns to be in a relationship – even though I may not be ready for it emotionally. Still, the day I created my account, I was bursting with optimism.

“So, why not just join a site and see what happens? See who comes to me, and maybe if we form a relationship based on conversations, see where it goes from there? What's the worst that could happen?”

Not long after I created my account I decided to mention my Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome; it impacts my daily life, and is a vital part of who I am. It is not me, but it is surely a part of me. I did not include any pictures of my leg, but figured they could Google the condition and get an idea of it. I did, however, explain how it impacted me medically and on an everyday basis. That didn't stop the requests from rolling in, much to my delight. It felt good to be wanted, even if it was from 800 weirdos scattered across the Boston area (not to say all are weirdos, I did meet some very nice people!).

Among the many, I found a few who I seemingly clicked with. The conversation would transfer from the dating site to my phone, and it felt good to be somewhat in the game, even if I was still very much so a pathetic rookie. Eventually, as the conversations grew more detailed about our personal lives, I would send guys a picture of me and my leg exposed. Since then, each one had lost interest. I told them that it's okay because I am confident in myself and understand that not everyone is equipped to deal with such a thing. Inside, however, it does hurt. I mean, I'd be lying if I said it didn't. Just yesterday, a guy I had been talking to for a while that I really liked finally saw a picture of my leg. Prior to this, we were texting often, and had gotten to known a fair amount about each other. Yesterday, he mentioned something about me in a bikini. Well, I said back, I may not look as sexy in a bikini as you may be thinking, you did read my profile right? He said yes, and then said “so what, you have a couple of scars or something?” Um yeah, buddy, let's call them that why don't we. I then proceed to send him the picture – and about an hour later, he tells me I still look beautiful. I thank him, but I know that this is the end, and it was. The pessimism soaks in, but I try to shove it aside and get on with my schoolwork. Even though I consider myself a confident person KTS wise, it just reminded me that I am still vulnerable, too. It hurts when people reject you - especially over something that has already caused you such a tremendous amount of pain in life thus far.

Any of you Kter's have experience with online dating? Have you had better luck than me? - A 

2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm9zFJsEDHk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That last paragraph was moving. I read it to Doug, his response "some guys are just shallow as shit". Doug and I meet through E-Harmony. One of the questions was tell me 5 random facts about you, one of my random facts was I am 1/4 purple, what a great stepping stone into discussing my KT. Doug and I chatted via text and MSN for about a month before we actually meet and he was very aware of my KT but had never seen it. Our first date was great and we hit it off that was in August. We were dating for about a month before he ever seen my leg. I always felt that if they knew me before they knew my KT it wouldn't be as difficult for them to deal with. The day I knew he was the one I was staying at his house and my leg really started to act up and I couldn't stand. He picked me up and carried me to bed and got me pain meds and water and was just willing to care for me in my medical mess. I told him that night I loved him. I was 25 when I meet Doug. So just remember you might have to kiss a lot of frogs to find the prince, but you will. I hope you don't end up kissing as many frogs as I had to! If you ever want to talk about KT and dating and the online dating stuff (beyond this big story) just give me a shout!

    ReplyDelete