Saturday, February 9, 2013

It's Okay To Take A Step Back With Invisible Illness


Hey everyone! So I am located right in the eye of the blizzard Nemo, and things outside are intense! We already have about a foot of snow, and overnight we should be getting at least one foot more. I guess it's just an end to an already crazy week!


This past school week, I skipped a couple of college classes; I was grappling with an episode of depression and was not sleeping at night, at all. The worst part was that I could not get myself to even cry to release some of those pent-up stress-hormones, it was almost as though my body had ran out of tears from years past. Normally, after a good long cry, I actually feel better. Strange as that sounds, there is actually scientific evidence to back up my claims of feeling better after a crying session.

Anyways, with my depression acting up and my leg sore from the relentless cold, I resolved to stay in for the day and sleep. I am not an advocate of missing classes by any means; but I am an advocate of putting your health first, whether that's mentally or physically. And I've learned that means that sometimes I need a day or two just to get myself back together, and if anyone wants to judge me for that, that's their problem.

My KTS is not invisible but my depression is and we live in a society that takes that for granted (although less than before, thankfully). What I'm saying is this: fighting is an important part of depression. Fighting can entail a vast array of things, for some it can simply be getting out of bed in the morning and putting one foot in front of the other. Or, it can mean working towards a degree even though you feel your future is utterly hopeless. HOWEVER, you also need to know that sometimes, you need to take a step back and regroup. In fact I would argue that indeed that is a way of fighting depression.

If your depression is similar to mine, it will try to demean you for having the audacity to allow yourself a day to try and regroup. It will tell you that you are lazy, and that it is typical of you to give up, and that you're just continuously screwing your life up. Fight it though, by telling your illness that you need a day because you are dealing with a very real illness. You would have no qualms about taking a day off if you were diagnosed with the flu, right?

It took me a very long time to learn to put my health first, even if that meant some things had to fall to the wayside sometimes. But you know what? Those two college classes I missed didn't kill me; I made up the work and am in groove with the rest of the class. A full schedule with mental illness along with a chronic illness is exhausting, but ALWAYS remember to BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE. - A


Agree?
Disagree?
I want to hear it in the comments! ( :

No comments:

Post a Comment