Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Want to know what a true friend is like?
Well, let me tell you a story in which demonstrates a friend who is truly there for you through thick and thin.

I was supposed to go out last Saturday night, and I had been looking forward to a night out with one of my best friends and other people my own age. It would be a fun opportunity to get a little dressed up, go out, and socialize, something in which I was in dire need of. However, when that day came, not only was I having a bad pain day, but my emotions were running high. I didn't want to break my commitment, though, and inside I truly did want to go out and feel like a normal 21 year old, even if just for a little while. So, I decided I would just grin and bear it, and besides, my best friend would be with me, so that of course provided me some consolation.

Saturday afternoon, I called my friend to come over to help me pick my outfit. The place in which we were going was kind of a club/bar hybrid, and I had never been to one before. So, my friend came right over and raided my closet for me. Since my leg was hurting, I was elevating my leg in bed and she was holding up different options. We had nearly gone through my entire closet when I looked at her and said “I am so sorry right now, you are going to hate me, but I really don't think I can do this tonight.” Mind you, this is after about an hour of having gone through all my clothes for me. Instead of lashing out at me, she came and sat down next to me in bed and we just talked about things going on in our lives. At that point of time, I had been feeling really anxious and depressed and what not, and what I really needed was for someone to just be present and talk or not talk with me.. She gave me absolutely no grief about not going out that night, and I later on I remained in bed and rested as my body just felt so incredibly fatigued.

Anyways, I have spoken a great deal about friends who have not been there for me lately, but I wanted to talk about one who always has. She's actually more like a sister than a friend, and I am so fortunate to have her in my life. There are good friends who will be there for your through thick and thin; that doesn't mean you will never get frustrated with one another, but it means you make an effort to work through and communicate. While my friend doesn't know exactly what I am going through (no one could, unless they were implanted into my body ), she is always there. And sometimes, that's all you need, is just for a person to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment