Wednesday, October 31, 2012


Everyone has their highs and lows, and it can be hard to differentiate between what is normal and what is part of a complex condition (bipolar). I do know, however, that about a week ago, I fell into a deeply depressed state one night. Nothing had gone awry, nothing in particular had triggered it, but there it was, present deep within me; I couldn't shake it despite how hard I tried. During that time, I was talking to a dear friend of mine who was hospitalized and also recently diagnosed as being bipolar. It is really amazing to have her as a support system, and she has given me some really good advice. One of the things in which she told me was “Be honest about what you need from those around you, right now.” She inspired me to get out of bed and go tell my mom just how lousy I was feeling. And then we talked, and I cried, and so forth. Still, it was important to release that pent up negativity; did you know crying actually helps to release stress hormones from your body? 

Hours later, I still felt extremely sad but I did not feel alone. Even though I don't like to admit any perceived “weakness” of any kind to anyone, I know it is important to in situations like these. Letting go of your pride may be difficult, but it's absolutely worth it, especially if it  helps to stabilize you and not feel locked in by your own negative feelings.

But I really liked the advice she gave me because I think it can apply to all of us with medical conditions.

“Be honest about what you need from those around you, right now.”

I think this is important when it comes to not just family, but friends as well.
How else are they supposed to know what we are feeling and how to best accommodate us unless we let them in?



No comments:

Post a Comment