Wednesday, October 3, 2012


One crucial discovery I made in my life was acknowledging how screwed up my thought process had become from medical trauma in years past. I didn't pay much any attention to it, however, until it was pointed out to me by a psych. Professional.

By medical trauma, I mean not just the infections and surgeries and what not, but the ginormous impact in which those had on my everyday life, whether it be social or mentally.

Changing my thought process is honestly one of the hardest journey's I have ever embarked on; my mind is solidified by stubbornness and negative thoughts. I am still at the very beginning, but I hear the end result is more than worth the effort.

One thing that had an enormous impact on my social well-being was the amount of friends who betrayed me in high school while I was at my sickest, when I needed them the most. The loss and hurt this caused me left a sticky residue on my heart – and over the years, I have found that I have become much less trusting of all friends/people in general.

It's vital to recognize where your self-destructive thought process began to go awry – to have some understanding of the life events that triggered such a surge of negative thoughts into your everyday conscious. It is vital to begin to hold yourself accountable for the thoughts in which fill your mind on a daily basis.

Like I said, I am just beginning this journey of transforming my thoughts now and it is by far one of the hardest things I have had to face.

In fact, I find this much harder than when I do get sick from an infection or am recovering from a surgery or what not. That may seem like a strange statement to make, but I will explain it to the best of my ability.

When I do get extremely sick in relation to my KTS, I play a much less prominent role in getting better. Basically, all I have to do is sit in a bed and wait for IV medications to begin to work their wonders, and, they always do. The medicine is soaked up by my ill-ridden body and returns it to a somewhat normal state in a matter of days.

This cognitive process is nothing like that; it involves me being an active agent in my own recovery, whereas it was previously the medication. I determine which way this thing will or will not go, and it takes constant work and effort. I'm the only one who can take initiative, no one else can come into my mind and reverse the damage that has been done.

It's a hard battle, and one in which I do not think most people can understand unless they have been through it themselves, much like a physical disability.





- Arianna

For those of you who have faced similar challenges, what has helped you?

No comments:

Post a Comment