Friday, October 26, 2012


I am not sure where to begin, or where I am even going with this post exactly. However, I want to acknowledge how good of a place I am in with my Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome. Last year at this time (prior to finding a working pain medication) I was in heaps of pain if I walked around for only a little while. Now, I can wander a great deal with very little pain and I am still astonished by how this one tiny pill has so much impact and force within my body.
Blood clots and cellulitis infection have been extremely minimal, and I have not been hospitalized since June.

I recall in years past doctors crooning over how good they thought my KTS looked. This is what you call good looking, really? I was looking at it in comparison to my other leg, while they were looking at it in comparison to the radical cases in which they had been exposed to over the years, as a part of the job.
And now, years later, I see what they meant in regards to its appearance. For one, you can make out that it's the shape of a leg, foot and all. The texture is (with the exception of a few small areas) is smooth and a lot of my problematic hermangiomas are a thing of the past.

I can bend it and straighten it with ease, and can wiggle my toes and all that.

I've been exposed to so many worse cases now (primarily via pictures) that I cannot grasp just how unaffected mine looks. I did have two debulking surgeries done in the past, but that doesn't really negate my main point. KTS wise, I am healthy, and while some of that can be attributed to luck, a very large portion of my success with KTS has been my doctors. The right combination of luck and fantastically skilled doctors has left me in a good place.

The importance of finding doctors who you trust is crucial. It saddens me to read how many people dislike their doctors or don't know where to go in an area near them and what not. I can't solve everything, but I can (given my KTS fortune) help advocate for others who are too unhealthy to actively advocate for themselves within society. That's the place in which I find myself at now with my condition.



No comments:

Post a Comment