Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Interview with Adam Cole. Happy Birthday!

A few years ago, I interviewed a dear friend and fellow Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome colleague Adam Cole about his own KTS and the work in which he was (and still is) doing in behalf of the KT Foundation. Today is his birthday, and I wanted to repost this old interview for those of you who may not have seen it on my previous blog in honor of it. Adam works to constantly advocate for KTS patients; his hard work and dedication has not gone unnoticed, nor should it. The momentous amount of work he does in regards to promoting awareness for this condition (while also having to live with its implications on a daily basis himself) will not be forgotten. Happy birthday, Adam! Thank you for having been such a loyal supporter and friend of mine since we met. Here is to hoping the year ahead brings you lots of love, health, and happiness. - A

Age: 29
Relationship to KTS: Patient
What age were you diagnosed? I was diagnosed at birth.
What were some of your experiences growing up with Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome?
The pain associated with KTS is what bothered me the most. Fortunately, I was able to be physically active throughout my childhood, electing to play basketball and baseball, among other sports. I performed these activities before wearing a support stocking on my right leg, as I do now. While I was able to be physically active, I do remember having limits, especially in walking a considerable distance. As I grew older, I had to wear the stockings to tolerate the extra swelling and pain from being on my feet during the day. 
The most critical moment that I’ve had with KTS was in 2003. In late December of that year, I was diagnosed with pulmonary emboli (blood clots in both lungs). Since that time, I’ve been on anticoagulant therapy (blood thinner) to help prevent that from occuring again.
What inspired you to become involved within the KTS community? 
While doing an online search to see the latest information available about KTS in 2005, I ran across the KT Foundation for the first time. I was thrilled to see an organization devoted to helping KTS patients. I wanted to learn more about the foundation and how I could help by promoting it through our family race team, Cole Motorsports. Therefore, we started advertising the foundation on our car during the 2006 racing season. We have now featured the KT Foundation on our race car for the last five seasons.
Can you explain the kind of work you do for the KT Foundation and how you help to gain exposure of what KTS is? 
I am a marketing representative for the foundation. I work to gain exposure for the foundation and the cause we support, patients with Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome. Primarily, I search for people, venues, etc. to promote the foundation in various capacities. In recent years, Orange County Speedway in Rougemont, NC promoted the KT Foundation as its featured charity. Several race teams in North Carolina and Virginia have also displayed our logo on their cars in races in the area.
2010 has been a strong year for us in terms of gaining exposure. Earlier in the year, Comedian Chris Wiles from The Comedy Zone in Greensboro, NC performed a benefit concert for the foundation in my hometown of Roxboro, NC. Despite a hectic 2010 schedule for Wiles, we’re currently planning a second show for 2010 in Greensboro, NC.
NASCAR Nationwide Series driver Peyton Sellers promoted the KT Foundation in the largest Late Model Stock Car race in the country in October 2010. The foundation was featured on the hood of Peyton’s No. 83 car in the Virginia is for Lovers 300 at Martinsville Speedway. The race attracted 85 cars that attempted to make the race and had an audience of approximately 20,000 people. Pictures of Peyton and the KT Foundation Chevrolet are available at www.causes.com/ktfoundation.
From speaking to you through Facebook, I understand that this Saturday will be a significant one within the KTS community. Can you explain what will be taking place? 
Peyton Sellers will be displaying the KT Foundation logo on his car in the NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Gateway International Raceway this weekend. Peyton will be driving the No. 23 Brandt Chevrolet for R3 Motorsports in the 5 Hour Energy 250.
How did the KT Foundation become involved with Peyton Sellers? 
Peyton and his brother, H.C., have been supporters of our family race team for many years. Sellers Racing, Inc. has assisted us with technical assistance, chassis setups, and more. During that time, we’ve become good friends with the entire Sellers family. Peyton and H.C. are aware of my condition and that I’m a part of the KT Foundation. They have been willing to support us in many ways, and the latest was having the KT Foundation logo on all of the Sellers Racing cars at Martinsville Speedway in 2010.
When and where can people watch the races that will take place
The Nationwide Series race at Gateway International Raceway will be aired live on ESPN2 this Saturday, October 23, at 3PM Eastern/2PM Central time. 
Please Note:
The race will also be on the radio at 3PM on Motor Racing Network (MRN) affiliate stations.
Will there be more races that will help gain exposure for KTS later this year?
Yes. Peyton will also be promoting the KT Foundation on November 21 at Myrtle Beach Speedway in the Myrtle Beach 400 Late Model Stock Car race.
Additional Commentary:
More information is available about Peyton Sellers athttp://www.peytonsellers.com./
Contact Information:
Adam Cole
awcole10@hotmail.com
336-598-1599
http://www.ktfoundation.org/
www.causes.com/ktfoundation

No comments:

Post a Comment