Monday, April 7, 2014

Put On Your Combat Boots

While inpatient, I could almost never sleep at night despite the cocktail of drugs I was on (which often included rather hefty dosages of oxycodone and clonazepam). Feelings of loneliness, guilt, and shame were some of my closest companions, and they liked to keep me awake for considerable hours on end. Sometimes, (if I were feeling strong enough bodily at that point in my recovery), I would weasel out of my room in my wheelchair around the 4:30 am mark. Mom was always just mere feet away from me fast-asleep, and I'd manage to exit the room without waking her (as was my goal). I'd push myself to the elevators, and maneuver myself to the downstairs lobby. Along the way, I would run into various familiar staff members and we would exchange polite greetings. Often, they would look at me in disbelief and say something along the lines of, “you're still up?” Despite the emotional storm brewing within me, I would often just respond to their remarks with a coquettish laugh that made it seem as though I did not have a care in the world. I would then proceed to sit outside for about an hour on end watching the doctors and nurses make their way into the hospital through the ER doors for rounds and what not.

I would be lying if I told you I found the sight of them anything other than phenomenally inspirational... Often a time, I felt as though I was a useless, miniscule discoloration present on Earth, despite all of the love and affection that was perpetually shown to me by friends,family, and medical staff alike. Still, I could not shake that substantial feeling of fruitlessness; it seemed as though my existence was only cause for chaos... rather that be to my family, friends, or doctors. None of them had done anything to make me feel this way, quite to the contrary, actually. Yet, what purpose was I serving spending the majority of my life in a hospital bed trying to tame a chronic condition that seemingly had every intention to demolish me despite several methods of medical intervention?

However, seeing the various medical professionals make their way into their personal playing arena incited great hope within me; it made me believe that perhaps one day, I too could go to work on a timely schedule and help make a difference within somebody's life. I believe that on the vast majority of nights, this is what gave me the willingness to continue my fight to get better, despite feelings of impending doom and a body that constantly said otherwise.

These professionals were people who had worked long and hard to achieve their goals, and they were constantly willing to learn. Often a time, they contained the whole package; not only were they competent in terms of their specialties, but they were empathetic and seemed to have a thriving personal life outside of the hospital. They, indeed, were perhaps one of my strongest motivators to recovery; of course, like all human-beings, I could assume they too had been met with several challenges along the way to their successes. Yet, here they were, day after day, walking into work ready to perform their duties and learn.


- Arianna




I needed a reason to belief in a greater purpose for my own life, and they helped give me just that. I was cautious to have myself back upstairs by the usual time of surgical rounds, and by then my internal attitude would experience a rather large shift...I felt inspired to begin yet another day of combat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment