Wednesday, February 26, 2014

No Privacy For The Inpatient

I used to find it rather easy to write while I was inpatient. These days, not so much. My words seem to escape me, and I am rather shy in regards to my own feelings. Perhaps that is because every two seconds someone bursts through my door asking how I am feeling, or to have a peek at parts of my body in which it's not natural to show to a room inundated with strangers. Over the years, this can certainly take its toll on a person (I would know!). Sure they have doctors' badges on, but aside from that, they are merely strangers. I do not know them in a personal manner...and outside of the hospital I would never pull down my pants for someone I just met. It would be absolutely...ludicrous of me to do so. Yet, some man or women has doctor identification on and I just allow him to see all of my private parts as though there is nothing amoral about it? In regards to medical purposes, I do not find it amoral. Yet, as a young woman, I find it somewhat emotionally violating as I grow older. I have never given the doctors problems as far as seeing my wound areas and other private parts of my body, nor have I ever been that uncomfortable with it to the point I would not allow it. Yet, it contradicts who I am outside of the hospital so greatly. I would never slip down my panties for a stranger I just met while outpatient, yet I am all too willing to do so while inpatient. The things we do in the name of medicine... ; ) It is, to me anyway, quite bizarre to ponder.


I think between feeling vulnerable in that manner and in terms of my other emotions, I cherish and consider sacred what I am able to keep inside. What I choose not to reveal almost becomes a weapon of sorts, one in which to fight all the vulnerability I am exposed to on a constant basis. While inpatient, privacy becomes sort of a rare delicacy...

No comments:

Post a Comment