Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Update

Hi all! Boy do I have a lot to catch up on in lieu of this blog - I will do my best to explain the past three weeks or so in great detail without going overboard. I will be updating this more regularly-that much I can say with great fervor! I have been on somewhat of a hiatus as I felt too lousy (in a systemic manner) to update while I was inpatient.

First off, after about 16 days inpatient, I am home: I checked myself out a few days earlier due to homesickness; it was, perhaps, a rather radical move on my part as the surgical team and I had initially planned for a Monday discharge. Dr. Alomari, however, felt that I was fine to go on Friday. At first, I questioned him a great deal on this - was my body even ready for that transition? What was the chance of me rebounding within the next four days or so? While he admitted slight risk, he told me overall that he would feel better with me leaving sooner rather than later as to not contract yet another infection merely from being in the hospital itself. Initially, I told him that I had to respectfully disagree on this as I was still in too much physical pain. However, as the day scurried on, I began to feel such an intense degree of homesickness that I could not seem to eradicate his words from my mind. If he, one of my top surgeons who knew me best, felt it was safe I could go, and emotionally I felt myself at a breaking point, then something needed to be done. I had my nurse page surgery (the team with the ability to discharge me) and I then pleaded my case to them. At approximately 8:pm on that Friday night, I was riding along in the passenger seat while my dad drove and my mom sat in the backseat. Our destination was home, and I was utterly elated, albeit very nervous in regards to my KTS as I was still in a hefty amount of pain.

I ended up having two surgeries during this inpatient stay (16 days). In the blog below this one, I mention having a surgery on several cysts that expanded from my buttocks all the way down to my mid KT leg. These cysts were incredibly inflamed prior to the surgeries.

Another problem arose while there: my groin area (on the KTS side, of course) expanded greatly. We aspirated it during the second surgery and found it was filled with fluid.

Basically, the past three weeks have been rather intense ones in regards to my KTS. I am feeling lighthearted as of late, but I expect that my internal and external strength will continue to grow and prosper with each passing day.


LOTS MORE TO COME! I am home in bed about to fall asleep, but I did want to do a quick update. Also, a few special shout-outs! Thank you to my loves Cheyenne, Rebecca and Jenn for the visits - along with those of my family! Cheyenne had just been released from the hospital the day before due to pain management issues with her KTS - and was still gracious enough to visit me! Rebecca, one of my friends from my hometown, also juggles vascular anomalies issues and sees many of my doctors. Even though she was told years back she may never be able to walk again - she is currently living life as an active college student who not only walks - but ice skates as well! She is someone in which I find to be incredibly inspiring in many respects. Jenn is one of my best friends who has been there for me throughout all of this KT hoopla - since we were little kids, in fact! I am very fortunate to have her and think of her as a sister.

Anyways, I will end this here now but I will talk to you all soon! xox - A

No comments:

Post a Comment