Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Calling You Out, Children's Hospital Boston

Anyone who reads this blog knows I often write quite highly of Children's Hospital Boston, as I have been a patient there since before I could walk, or even mumble for that matter. In fact, I have been a patient there since birth. Yet, there are some harsh truths in which I feel compelled to touch upon starting now, whether or not they are or aren't appreciated by some staff inparticular.
One of those truths is the inadequate/non-existent psychological/psychiatric care in the Vascular Anomalies Clinic. Swarms of Klippel patients flee to the Boston clinic for the expertise of the prominent doctors; I cannot deny that they do indeed deliver in terms of medical treatment and overall care, at least they have for me throughout the entirety of my life. However, in my due opinion, they are lacking greatly in terms of the psychological component. It is a well-known fact that anyone with a chronic illness is anxiety/depression prone. Not to mention, an array of other psychological disorders. It is really quite dependent upon circumstances and genes. However, knowing that Klippel is such a rare and harsh illness, there should undoubtedly be a psychological staff member on board at all times.  Heaps of us Klippel patients deal with never-ending chronic pain on a daily basis, and there are ample studies to support the thesis of how harming this is to the brain. However, if treated correctly by the right people in psychological field, this damage can actually be reversible. I advise you to do some of your own research, if need be, and see for yourself the countless studies that exist on this matter that have been conducted in recent times, If you have been to the CHB clinic, chances are you have met with an array of Klippel doctors who come together to help devise a plan for you to live your life in the healthiest manner possible.

However, I ask you this... What good is it to be in adequate physical health if you feel so emotionally crippled you cannot get out of bed? I have spoken with numerous Klippel patients over the years, and nearly all have fallen victim to mental illness of some sort. A great deal of us Klippel patients deal with depression, anxiety, and even body-dysmorphic disorder. Some engage in cutting as a release, and others are addicted to narcotics as their primary method to numb away the emotional pain. Some, like myself, are just going through the motions trying to make it by day by day.

The Vascular Anomalies Clinic needs to have a psychologist on board, someone who understands the ins-and-outs of this sometimes debilitating condition and the way in which it impacts its patients emotionally. My primary care doctor, Dr. Cloherety, told Dr. Fishman this to his face over the summer. I do not often mention Dr. Cloherety on here, but he has been with me since the day of my birth. He has always led my parents and I in the right direction, and has consistently been the voice of reason in the midst of all the chaos. In fact, he has always been my biggest advocate and for that I am eternally grateful. Needless to say, I have the highest amount of respect for him and trust him with my life.

So, while patients are already being seen by numerous doctors in clinic, why not have a psychologist meet with the child/teenager/adult whether separately, with their parents/family/spouses or both? There is a huge piece of the wellness component missing here, and until it is addressed, countless will suffer and struggle to find the right psychological care. Dr. Fishman, the coordinator of the Vascular Anomalies Clinic, is not only an incredibly skilled vascular surgeon and brilliant at his craft, but a kind, endearing human-being with a lovely bedside manner. I hope that he takes the words of my beloved Dr Cloherety and others into consideration when it comes to this pressing topic. Children's Hospital has always been a leader in the healthcare community, and to maintain this reputation there are indeed a few flaws that need to be tended to. I believe in you, Children's, and I hope that for the sake of all patients you take this message into serious consideration.  - A

No comments:

Post a Comment