Sunday, September 9, 2012

This semester, I am taking a class which focuses solely on sex differences (in a psychological manner). As I have begun to do some work introductory work for the class, I was reminded by some KTS experiences (whether my own or ones others have shared with me).

While the gap of equality has immensely decreased between genders over the past several years, I think pretty much everyone can agree that there is still much work to be done. Stereotypes of typical gender roles have plagued society for a long time; these ideas are often implanted into our minds subconsciously from a tender age.

Women are thought to be the emotional ones; it is thought that we are more vulnerable and prone to feeling emotions.
Men, on the other hand, are thought to be the strong ones, the protectors so to speak. Society has dictated that a man showing emotions like a woman does is too feminine in manner, and for that the man will receive scrutiny for not acting “manly” enough.

Since I have been involved in the KTS community for a few years now, I have had the chance to speak with a vast array of patients; people of all ages, female and male. I have had a lot of male patients admit to me that they have had trouble expressing emotions in regards to their KTS and how it made them feel; a lot of them were scared to, like they almost felt ashamed. They felt as though they had to live up to a stereotype in which they were resistant to anything; they weren't supposed to be vulnerable like women, that would make them less manly in the eyes of society. In result, some kept their emotions to themselves for long periods of time, causing an inner turmoil that manifested itself in different ways (think anger, depression).

Women, on the other hand, tend to be a lot more open in regards to their emotional experiences with KTS and are generally more open to discussing it with others. Society tells us that it's okay, that we are supposed to be the more vulnerable ones, the ones more prone to feeling, the more sensitive ones so to speak.

As we proceed into more modern times, I am afraid that this notion of what a man should be/act will continue to negatively impact not just males in general, but males with chronic illnesses. There needs to be more public emotional support provided to men to let them know that it is indeed okay to feel, after all it's basic human instinct. Fact of the matter is, we wouldn't be human if we didn't feel.

It has also been proven in scientific studies that regardless of gender, crying helps release stress hormones, and that one can actually feel better following a cry.

Nobody, despite their gender, should be made ashamed of feeling emotions in regards to their condition; sometimes, it is just absolutely best to look past society and realize that it can do more turmoil than good.

(I had to get this off my chest before I go to bed; I've been up all night doing homework and in spite or how exhausted I currently feel, writing this was totally worth it).

No comments:

Post a Comment